TIMOTHY J. KING – CANDIDATE FOR COHASSET TOWN MANAGER
I am currently the Assistant Town Administrator for the Town of Wellfleet, a position I have held since 2011. I have enjoyed working in the Town of Wellfleet but I am ready and eager for the next challenge.
My thirty-six years of executive level management experience includes many years in local government administration. My 28 years as a municipal manager includes, in addition to my work in Wellfleet, prior service in Auburn, MA, Ellsworth, ME, Westerly, Rl as well as two other communities in Maine. Working in relatively small communities like my entire career has given me the opportunity to develop a detailed and extensive knowledge of municipal services and operations. My experiences have also required me to develop expertise in municipal finance, human resources, collective bargaining, planning, municipal law and regulation, and general management. All of these skills would be useful to the Town of Cohasset.
Equally important to my municipal management experience are my personal attributes. I have strong critical thinking skills, excellent interpersonal skills and a participative management style that most citizens and employees find useful. I am positive, approachable, available, and a hard worker. A seasoned municipal manager with these types of assets would be of great benefit to the Town of Cohasset.
Thirty six years of effective executive level management experience in municipal government and non
profit corporations with overall responsibility for financial administration, personnel management, planning and policy making, and efficient public service delivery.
Asst. Town Administrator Wellfleet, MA 2011-Present
Since 20II I served as the Asst. CAO of a town with a $15 million budget that provides a variety of services to residents. Wellfleet has approximately 75 fulhime and 100 part time and seasonal employees. Significant Accomplishments
– Served as Interim Town Administrator from Sept, 2012-Jan, 2013
– Prepared and submitted the FY 2014 Municipal, Capital, and Enterprise Fund Budgets
– Prepared 9 RFP’s and 4 Bids in accordance with MGL.
– Assisted in the rewrite of 3 Town Bylaws
– Assisted in the preparation of the Annual Town Meeting Warrant
– Participated in all collective bargaining sessions with 7 local unions
– Successfully and expeditiously assisted the Town Admin istrator with a large number ofmun icitals problems, challenges, and tasks with a minimum of oversight and excellent results.
– Implemented several cost-saving m easures that saved the Town over one hundred thousand dollars
Executive Director WHCA Milbridge, ME 2003-20 II
I was the CEO of a $I 0 million non-profit corporation providing 140 programs to residents of Hancock and Washington Counties. The Executive Director is responsi ble for overall management and supervision of90 full time and part time employees.
Started a new adult day program by raising $1.2 million.
Started a successful program to make reliable affordable used vehicles avai lable to working fami lies and finance them at reasonable interest rates.
Obtained a $1.1 million donation for the agency to start an endowm ent.
Significantly increased the positive awareness of and support for WHCA.
City Manager Ellsworth, Maine 1990-2003
With a tenure of 13 years I was the longest serving City Manager of th is full service community of approximately 8,000 year round residents that doubles in the summer. The City Manager is responsible for the overall management of all municipal services (including water and wastewater) and su pervision of 64 fulltime and 67 part time employees.
– Established an effective 10-yea r capital improvement plan and million dolla r annual capital program.
– Developed municipal budgets that resulted in zero property tax rate increase for 4 years.
– Designed, planned, and implemented a PAYT solid waste program w ith im pressive results.
– Initiated the process for the replacement of the wastewater treatment faci lity.
– Fully participated in the Comprehensive Plan process as a member.
– Negotiated all collective bargaining agreements and managed all laborrelations for 4 unions.
– Managed the municipal budget so effectively that the unrestricted fund balance was significantly increased over several years.
– Developed the first TIF and a business park in Ellsw
– Helped form a regional tourism-based entity called Downeast Area Regional Tourism (DART).
– Obtained approval and funding for and managed the Ellsworth Harbor Dredge and related waterfront im provements.
Town Manager Westerly, Rhode Island 1988-1990
The Town Manager is responsible for the overall management of municipal services for a community of approximately 23,000 residents and supervised 150 full time employees. Significant Accomplishments
– Annually prepared and administered a $24,000,000 general fund and $1,000,000 enterprise fund budget.
– Redesigned the commun i ty’s personnel functions including new position descriptions, a merit-based compensation plan, and a supervisory training program.
– Negotiated all collective bargaining agreements with 3 unions.
– Supervised major construction projects for a Senior Center, Police Station Addition, Solid Waste Transfer Station, and Town Hall Addition. Each of these projects was completed on time and under budget.
– Initiated and organized a major project to update the Town’s Comprehensi ve Plan and revise local land-use regulations.
Town Administrator Auburn, Massachusetts 1982-1988
Directed and coordinated the work of up to I 00 full time and numerous part time municipal employees and a $17 million municipal operating budget for this community of approximately16,000 residents. The Town Adm inistrator is responsible for preparing and administering the annual operating and capital budgets, negotiating all municipal collective bargaining agreements, and overseeing the implementation of general administrative policies.
Initiated the first Capital Improvement Plan covering all departments.
Started a program to set aside money for the Town ‘s unfunded retirement liability. Negotiated numerous collective bargaining agreements.
Town Manager Town of Oakland, Maine 1979-1982
Town Manager Town of Corinth, Maine 1977-1979
Master of Public Administration Penn State University 1976-1977 Degree conferred 1980
Bachelor of Arts in Public Management University of Maine, Orono 1972-1976 (Cum Laude)
Maine Board of Corrections (gubernatorial appointment/Senate confrrmation; reappointed 2009) 2007-20 II Maine Town & City Manager Association- Executive Committee and Vice-President
Maine Municipal Association – Executive Committee
Maine Community Action Association 2003-20 II (President 2007-20 I 0)
City of Ellsworth Charter Commission 2009-2010 (elected member)
Downeast Horizons (Services for adults with developmental disabi lities) Habitat for Humanity of Hancock County
Myacomet Board of Trustees, President 2013