Cohasset Police Chief declines 11th hour interview

Edward J. McNeeley, attorney for suspended Cohasset Police Chief Mark DeLuca, told this blog that he was called by Peter Berry of Town Counsel’s firm last night (6/18/12) at 10 P.M.  McNeeley said Berry invited his client to be interviewed by them today (Tuesday, June 19th) at 2PM with regard to the independent investigation of the police department. This was the first DeLuca and his attorney had heard from the Town since DeLuca’s suspension on May 25.

Scheduling a meeting with DeLuca four hours and 15 minutes before Selectmen are to discuss the preliminary inquiry – is a very late dance invitation.  Not even time to rent a tux.

McNeeley said his client looks forward to the opportunity to be interviewed regarding the investigation, but that they had to decline the invitation as there would have been no time to prepare. Furthermore, DeLuca has yet to receive any details regarding the charges against him.

The Selectmen’s Agenda states that the independent police investigation (the preliminary inquiry) will be discussed at 7:25 p.m. this evening.

McNelley is a principal at Barnicle, McNelley & Nugent of Boston. He was a Captain Detective at Boston Police for 33 years and a Sergeant at United States Army. He graduated from the New England School of Law and Boston State College.

© Copyright 2012 Tanna K, All rights Reserved. Written For: Tinytown Unleashed

  4 comments for “Cohasset Police Chief declines 11th hour interview

  1. June 26, 2012 at 1:24 pm

    Town Fathers are driving this truck.
    Not everything has to result in a $57,000 public hearing.

  2. J.Case
    June 25, 2012 at 9:13 pm

    I wish people would forget about lawyers they drive me crazy.

  3. June 21, 2012 at 9:47 am

    According to Town Counsel, the Chief’s attorney had a scheduling conflict.

  4. J.Case
    June 20, 2012 at 4:52 pm

    Why would the Chief need to prepare for an interview, How do these things work,? Don’t you just get asked questions and then respond?

Comments are closed.